• Willkommen im Linux Club - dem deutschsprachigen Supportforum für GNU/Linux. Registriere dich kostenlos, um alle Inhalte zu sehen und Fragen zu stellen.

[solved] k3b brennt nur als root

jpfoe

Hallo,

ich hoffe, die Suchfunktion hinreichend ausführlich genutzt zu haben ... Meine Frage: k3b (unter SuSE 9.2) brennt nur, wenn ich mich als root eingeloggt habe (dann allerdings völlig ohne Probleme). Versuche ich, als einfacher user zu brennen, erhalte ich die Fehlermeldung "Ressource steht nicht zur Verfügung". Das Problem ist zwar nicht wirklich dramatisch, dennoch würde ich sehr gern wissen, worin es begründet ist und was ich unternehmen kann, um es abzustellen.

Schonmal herzlichen Dank für alle Tipps und Hinweise!

towo

Teammitglied
dennoch würde ich sehr gern wissen, worin es begründet ist und was ich unternehmen kann, um es abzustellen.
Das liegt am 2.8er Kernel und zum Abstellen kannst Du Google oder die SuFu fragen!

rush hour

jpfoe schrieb:
Meine Frage: k3b (unter SuSE 9.2) brennt nur, wenn ich mich als root eingeloggt habe (dann allerdings völlig ohne Probleme). Versuche ich, als einfacher user zu brennen, erhalte ich die Fehlermeldung "Ressource steht nicht zur Verfügung".

Klingt so, als ob du nicht Mitglied einer "Brennen-Gruppe" bist. Ging es denn vor einem evtl. Update?

oc2pus

Ultimate Guru
K3B und brennen als user ?!?
http://www.linux-club.de/viewtopic.php?t=11736

das schon probiert ?

tomte

Hacker
News lesen auf http://k3b.org kann auch Hinweise geben...

http://k3b.plainblack.com/index.pl/news2

Do not use Kernel 2.6.8

A patch that was introduced into the kernel shortly before the 2.6.8 release makes K3b and also the dvd+rw-tools unusable on Linux (unless run as root but that is not recommended). The very important GET CONFIGURATION MMC command is rejected by the kernel for reasons I cannot see and writing commands like MODE SELECT also fail (K3b cannot detect CD writers without it) even when the device is opened O_RDWR. Until this issue has been solved I strongly recommend to stick to kernel version 2.6.7.

Update: The kernel guys are currently fixing the problem so the next kernel release should work again. :)

Update 2: The problem is NOT fixed in 2.6.8.1

Update 3: Be aware that kernel 2.6.8 also contains the memory leak which makes it impossible to write audio cds, even as root.

Update on the kernel 2.6.9 issue

I finally did some testing and gathered some information on the kernel 2.6.9 problem. Here is what I can tell you:

* Cdrecord won't run anymore when configured suid root. The reason is that the new kernel forbids suid root programs to use the SCSI subsystem (or something like that, correct me if I am wrong :)
So Cdrecord needs to be configured without suid root and the next version of K3bSetup will do that.
Cdrdao does not have this problem. I think that's becasue it drops the root privileges in an earlier stage but I am not sure about that.
* K3b is unable to properly handle external (USB, Firewire) devices on the new kernel. Whenever the tray is open it will not be recognized as a CD/DVD device and if K3b is trying to access it while the tray is open it will get strange wrong answers from the device.
I don't know how to solve this. Evenmore I think I cannot solve it since the dvd+rw-tools have the exact same problem. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future kernel version.

So what does that mean for you? Well, you have to decide for yourselves. Since I have multiple external DVD devices I still stick to kernel 2.6.7 since otherwise I would always have to make sure the tray is not open when starting K3b and trying to burn something. But if you don't have any external devices and configure cdrecord properly using kernel 2.6.9 should be no problem.

Update: This issue seems to be related to SCSI devices rather than just external.

OP
jpfoe

jpfoe

Ein Update auf den 2.6.9er kernel hat k3b auf die Sprünge geholfen - Danke für den Tipp!

Oben